Addictions (as defined by ASAM) is a “primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations.” When normal everyday functioning is disturbed because of extreme and harmful need/craving to engage in activities, then addiction problem may exist.
Here is a list of great essential oils that may help in relieving addictive tendencies, mind thoughts, behaviors and symptoms associated with obsessive or addictive personalities.
“* Lavender oil is sometimes referred to as the oil of peace because of its ability to help people become calm and relaxed. This is a good choice for people who want to get in the mood for sleep or just want to unwind at the end of a busy day. Put in diffuser or rub on spine and bottoms of the feet.
* Ylang Ylang is another essential oil that is believed to be good for relaxation.
* Lemon oil is believed to enhance mood and make people feel like they have more energy. There is also some evidence to suggest that it can help people deal better with stress. Place in diffuser or put a few drops in 8 oz glass of water.
* Peppermint oil is said to be good for helping people deal with minor body discomforts such as mild headaches. It is also good for relieving nausea – this can be a problem for people going through withdrawals.
* The smell of Sandalwood is commonly found in Buddhist and Hindu temples where it is used in incense. It can be good for putting people in the mood for contemplation. Calming and grounding.
* Bergamot oil is believed to help alleviate mild symptoms of depression. It lifts moods and creates light and happy atmosphere.
* Eucalyptus oil is good for opening up the airways and it can make people feel like they have more energy.
* Chamomile oil is another essential oil that is good for promoting relaxation and sleep. Another grounding and calming oil.
* Clary Sage is said to be good for reducing levels of anxiety and promoting sleep. This is also a great mood regulator.
* Dill oil is said to help people deal with feelings of being overwhelmed, and it is also good for general relaxation.
* Ginger oil is said to be a mild stimulant. This means that it may lift mood and increase mental clarity.
* Jasmine is said to lift the mood and can be used as a mild antidepressant. One of the highest frequency oils.
* Pine is also said to act as a stimulant that can lift mood.
* Rosemary can have mild antidepressant qualities.”